Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Weight Loss

On Monday I went to my primary care physician to see if I needed to be taken off any of my medications. I was hoping the nurse would weigh me. Sometimes when I go the nurse doesn't bother with weighing patients. To my surprise she weighed me. I was estatic with what the scale said, but didn't believe it. I asked the nurse to weigh me again because it couldn't be right. The nurse looked at me weird & said the scale was right. The scale showed a 20 lb weight loss in 1 week. I wanted to shout for joy but decided to do it when I got outside.

My doctor was surprised to see me since I just had surgery 1 week ago. He said I should be home relaxing & resting. I told him I feel terrific. I make sure to listen to my body and when I get tired I go home to rest. I have been impressed with how well I have recovered. My doctor was also impressed.

One thing I have noticed is I have a hard time watching TV because of all the food commercials. I saw one the other day about Klondike ice cream bars & it made me want to go get one. I didn't but my mind tells me it's okay. It's not okay, if I were to eat ice cream I would be really sick. So I have decided to limit my TV viewing. This isn't a bad thing because I have found that I have been able to get many things accomplished.

This week I got to start to introduce more foods which made me happy. I love variety. I was eating yogurt, cottage cheese & cream based soups. On Monday I got to include scrambeled eggs, string cheese, deli meats, canned meats (tuna fish & chicken), any kind of beans (black, pinto, refried, & kidney. I also can eat canned vegetables or steamed vegetables. My new diet consits of 70% protein & 30% vegetables for the first year. The doctor has asked that I stay away from carbohydrates, fruit & anything high in sugar, high in fat or fried foods. I am okay with this because its the end result I am looking for. They also ask that we drink 64 ounces of water a day. If its hotter than normal then they want us to get more than 64 ounces. I love water, but some days I struggle. I focus on getting at least 8 ounces of water an hour. That seems to help.

I go back to see my surgeon on Tuesday August 4th for my 2 week follow up. At that time I will take another picture of myself to see if there have been any changes.

On sad note, I found out that my old roomate who I loved with for a year in Murray passed away on Sunday. Her name was Karen Western. Karen and I also worked at the same place that is how we knew each other before we became roomates. It came as a shock to me! We were just talking the other day about getting together to hang out this weekend. No one knows how she died. The family just called work to tell them that she passed away but didn't give anymore details. There was 2 other ladies & myself & Karen that would get together each month to have a ladies night. We are all going down to Delta to attend her funeral. We just took a trip to Bear Lake in May. It's hard to believe that she is gone. I know that she is in a better place, but she sure will be missed.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you're doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for keeping us updated. Good luck with your daily journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, 20 pounds in a week? Congratulations!!

    I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Becky! My Mom was just telling me all about your surgery... way to go! I am glad that you and my Mom can keep in touch and help keep eachother motivated.
    I'm sorry about the loss of your friend, that is very sad.
    Good luck with everything and I look forward to following you on your new journey! You and my Mom will be looking hot in your bikinis next Summer!

    Ginger

    ReplyDelete