Sunday, February 21, 2010

New 2nd Calling

It is official. I have a new 2nd calling in my ward. They sustained & set me apart to be the Ward Organist in addition to me teaching the Valiant 8 & 9 class in primary. I don't mind having two callings. I would rather keep busy then be bored. I am so glad that they let me keep my primary calling. I adore my primary children. I love being their primary teacher.

I have been a ward organist before in previous wards. It is very easy to get burned out with this calling because I have found that there are not very many people who know how to play the organ or they don't make it know that they can play. I am very glad that I get to keep both of my callings because it will help me not get burned out with being the Organist. For me, its all in my attitude, if I remain excited and eager to learn then there is no fear of me getting burned out.

When I moved to Sugarhouse, I decided I would attend the family ward rather than going to the older singles ward. I love my ward and all the people in it. I was surprised when I first moved into the ward how small our ward is. In my mind I thought being in downtown Salt Lake the ward would be huge and I could very easily sit on the back row and not be notice. This is not the case in my ward. I was noticed the very first day I showed up. We are always eager when new members move into the ward.

Since moving into the ward the previous organist found out that I played and would ask me occasionally to fill in for her. I was able to live in the ward for a year and half without being called to be the organist. Well just recently the previous organist was just called to be the new Relief Society president so the Bishop approached me two weeks ago and asked if I would be willing to accept the calling. I just found out that the previous organist has been playing for the last 8 years. YIKES! What did I get myself into? HA HA HA Just kidding!

I love being able to play. I love being able to share my talent. I owe it to my mom and dad for their time, dedication & money that they put out for me to start taking piano lessons at age 6. I am grateful that I listened to my mom when she reminded me to keep practicing. Now because of my commitment and own dedication I now am able to give back to others through my music.

I love using music in my primary lessons. I love teaching the primary children how imporant music can be to their learning & development of their testimony. Music plays a very important role in inviting the spirit to our meetings and allowing others to feel of that spirit.

I am so excited for this new calling that as soon as I got home from church today I called my old organ teacher to see if she could take on a new student. I want to learn how to play the pedals with my feet. I am eager to learn that I will be going out to purchase some Organ shoes. Yes, they have special shoes that I should wear to play the foot pedals. I know I must sound like a music nerd, but I am looking forward to this new calling.

3 comments:

  1. Organ shoes? That's crazy! Congratulations on your new calling. I'm impressed that you play the organ. I appreciate a good organ player.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so grateful you are sharing your talents! You do a fantastic job as a primary teacher and I'm really glad you are in our ward!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun and it is great that the Organist before you is still in the ward so you have someone to call when you need a sub.
    My mom has played the organ oh my I don't know how many years and usually when she had another calling too.
    In the church in Hood River you couldn't turn the organ off until pretty much everyone had left the chapel because for some reason when you turned it off it picked up the local AM radio station for about 15 seconds LOL so she would just have to keep playing till most of the yackity people left the chapel.
    I am so proud of you for being willing to share your talent because like you said there are so many that don't share that

    ReplyDelete